Science Department Officer
Do you thrive in an international working environment? Do you have strong administrative and organisational skills? Want to support the sustainable use of our seas? Then you may be the International Council of the Exploration of the Sea’s next Science Department Officer!
The International Council for the Exploration of the Sea (ICES) is an intergovernmental organization which aims to advance the scientific understanding of marine ecosystems and provide information and advice on the sustainable use of the seas.
ICES is currently in search of a highly organised and self-motivated Science Department Officer to join our Secretariat located in Copenhagen, Denmark.
The Science Department Officer will join the Science Department but will also be working cross-departmentally within the Secretariat. This is a diverse role and requires working with and supporting highly skilled professionals both from the Secretariat and wider ICES community in order to advance and promote scientific research on marine ecosystems and sustainable use of the oceans.
We offer a job where you get to collaborate closely with leading scientists and get insight into the operations of an intergovernmental organization. You’ll join the ICES Secretariat (organisation headquarters) in Copenhagen which is made up of approximately 70 staff who represent 29 different nationalities. As Science Department team member, you’ll encounter working days with lots of variation and requiring plenty of quick thinking and problem solving. Your team is made up of skilled and committed colleagues who have a wide range of backgrounds (e.g. administration, marine science, event management, and publishing) and there is plenty of opportunity for sparring, involvement and competency development.
We seek a service-minded colleague to;
- Assist the ICES network of marine scientists (expert groups, steering groups and committees). In particular the expert groups under the Ecosystem Observation Steering Group, with tasks such as:
- supporting Professional Officers and ICES Management
- scheduling and hosting meetings
- formatting reports
- maintaining online schedules/timelines/overviews
- Provide administrative assistance to science cooperation activities
- Provide administrative assistance to internal meetings and initiatives
- Provide support at project meetings and conferences
- Assist the Science Department Colleagues as otherwise required.
Qualifications and Experience
To be a success in this role, you should have;
- A university degree from an accredited educational institution (preferably administration related)
- Fluent in spoken and written English
- Excellent communication and teamwork skills
- Experience related to data entry management
- Ability to prioritize and be flexible with changes in scope while still ensuring that deadlines are met
- Ability to work independently, to take initiative, and to interact with diverse personalities, cultures, and scientific backgrounds with demanding schedules in a diplomatic and effective manner, and generally keep the train on the tracks and moving forward.
Terms of Appointment
The appointment will be full-time (38 hours per week), for a four-year contract period starting preferably in February 2023.
ICES Secretariat staff enjoy privileges and immunities pursuant to the Host Agreement between the Government of Denmark and ICES. The salaries of ICES staff are exempt from Danish income tax and are based on, but not identical to, the United Nations common salary system. The salary for this role is situated at the “C4” grade. A tax-free pension scheme is available, to which both the employee and ICES contribute.
ICES Staff Rules set out the conditions and principles of employment and the responsibilities of the Secretariat staff.
If you feel you have the professional and personal qualities we are looking for, please submit your application (CV and cover letter) by clicking the link below.
Deadline for application submission is midnight Tuesday 06 December2022. Interviews are expected to take place in the week beginning 12 December.
ICES is an equal opportunities employer and we encourage all qualified candidates to apply.
- What is your proficiency level in English? (speaking and writing)
- How many years of administrative experience do you have?
- Rate your familiarity with the Microsoft Office Suite