Science Supporting Officer
The International Council for the Exploration of the Sea (ICES) is an intergovernmental organization that advances and shares scientific understanding of marine ecosystems and the services they provide, and employs the resulting knowledge to generate state-of-the-art advice on meeting conservation, management and sustainability goals. ICES international network comprises more than 5000 scientists from over 690 marine institutes in 20 member countries and beyond.
We are currently in search of an enthusiastic person for the Supporting Officer role for the Science Support Department at the ICES Secretariat, located in Copenhagen, Denmark.
- Providing assistance to the ICES network of marine scientists (expert groups, steering groups and committees) with tasks such as supporting Professional Officers and Chairs in Science and Advice activities, scheduling and hosting meetings, formatting reports and maintaining online schedules/timelines/overviews (steering groups include the Aquaculture Steering Group and Ecosystem Processes and Dynamics Steering Group)
- Administrative support for internal meetings and initiatives (ICES Council and Science Committee in particular)
- Providing support at project meetings and conferences, as required
- Assisting the Head of Science Support and Professional Officers within the ICES Secretariat as otherwise required
Expected qualifications and competencies:
We are looking for a colleague that enjoys interacting with diverse cultures, personalities and professional backgrounds. We value the ability to work independently, to take initiative and bring creativity to working with demanding schedules in a diplomatic and effective manner, and generally keep the train on the tracks and moving forward.
- University degree from an accredited educational institution;
- Excellent communication and teamwork skills;
- Experience related to data/data entry management;
- Ability to prioritize and be flexible with changes in scope while still ensuring that deadlines are met;
- Fluent in spoken and written English
- Experience from a previous similar role is preferred.
Terms of appointment
The position will be full-time (38 hours per week), starting November 2021 or as soon as possible.
ICES Secretariat staff enjoy privileges and immunities pursuant to the Host Agreement between the Government of Denmark and ICES. The salaries of ICES staff are exempt from Danish income tax and the salary for this role is at the “C4” grade, which is based on but not identical to the United Nations common salary system.
Furthermore, a tax-free pension scheme is available, to which both the employee and ICES contribute. ICES Staff Rules set out the conditions and principles of employment and the responsibilities of the staff of the Secretariat.
If you feel you have the professional and personal qualities and potential we are looking for, please submit your application (CV and cover letter) through Talent Attract no later than 3 October.
Questions about this vacancy may be directed to HR Officer Asli Bankaci. For more information about ICES, please visit our home page: www.ices.dk
For more information about us, please visit our home page: http://www.ices.dk/Pages/default.aspx